Have an unhealthy tree? Treat the whole tree for disease, not just one branch.
If we only change our eating but carry on drinking too much alcohol or smoking, or being sedentary, or being stressed, or breathing polluted air, or not getting enough sleep then it’s like having a dying tree but only looking after one of its branches. So many people change their eating but carry on not getting enough rest or carry on drinking alcohol every night, or not being active.
The body doesn’t work like that, it’s a unit, each part relies on another part working properly.
You have to start somewhere though, and changing your eating is a good place because it makes you feel more positive about slowly improving the other things.
When you join our Nutrition for Everyone plan you make that first step towards a healthier life, with our support and expertise. Changing what you eat can be a curveball on its own, although all our weekly meal plans are made up of gorgeous food, so we let you focus on just that for a couple of months while quietly encouraging you to start working on the other areas of your life.
What else can I do to lose weight naturally?
Take it one step at a time but these are some of the things you could do:
- Move more every day. Walk more, stand more, take dedicated periods of activity that make you out of breath.
- Drink less alcohol. Socialise without the need for over-drinking. Have a few alcohol-free days each week.
- If you smoke, definitely stop! Not easy but a huge leap towards better health.
- Go to bed 15 minutes earlier each night, and another 15 minutes earlier the next week until you’re in bed by 11 pm, or a time that gets you at least seven hours sleep.
- Think of ways you can reduce stress and relax more. If you really can’t remove the source then add some ‘treatments’, like walking outdoors each day in green space, learning to meditate, taking a couple of mins each hour to sit with closed eyes and think about the stress-causer in perspective, stop doing as much, properly chill at weekends.
- Spend more time in areas of clean air. If you live in a city go out of the city as often as you can and get some good wholesome fresh air into your lungs.
- Work only your paid hours.
- Spend more time with people you love and care about.
You don’t have to do all of those at once, that would be too difficult. And just reading this will not change anything. The key to losing weight naturally is to make changes that you can maintain for life. So pick the one you feel would have the most impact and make a start today.
What will it be?
The greatest medicine of all is to teach people how not to need it.